What’s the Meaning of the Number Three?
Three is the number of creativity, communication, and expression.
Numerologists recognize that 3 is the number of the child – it symbolizes the growth and magic that results from the combination of two other things; it’s the metaphorical child brought forth from two parents, full of energy and possibility. This number is the fruits of your labors, it carries meaning, power and an abundance of energy that is SO much more than the sum of its parts.
But what does this really mean?
Well, using the ancient art of Numerology, you can see that numbers are SO much more than just digits; they hold unique vibrational patterns (or archetypes) and are containers of the currents of divine, universal life, in which we all flow.
Numbers can be used to describe everything from the DNA sequences that connect you to your ancestors, to your most ordinary and everyday encounters.
Everything in life has a sacred purpose, and numbers can help you figure out what that is. For this reason, we like to think of Numerology as “decoding the voice of the Universe”.
As well as describing the world around you, numbers and their archetypal, spiritual energy will often serve as signposts, indicating the best decisions to make and the next steps to take. This means that getting to know their unique qualities can bring a huge amount of insight, reassurance, and guidance for you, whilst you navigate the path of your life.
Your Life and the Number 3
Our view of the world is separated so smoothly, so naturally, and in so many ways, into three parts that this number is an innate part of our experience. And what’s more, is that it’s our relationship to these three parts that is how we find our place and position in the world, at any time.
- Almost everything in life can (and is) separated into a beginning, a middle and an end.
- We live our lives through birth, life, and death.
- Time is measured through past, present, and future.
- The dimensions of the space we inhabit are measured through width, length and height.
- The Sun’s stages move through dawn, noon and dusk.
- The planting cycle of our food is also threefold: plant, harvest, dormant.
- The ancient matriarchal societies recognized the Moon’s three phases: waxing, full and waning
- The Goddess herself has three expressions: Virgin, mother and crone.
LUCKY Number 3
Three is often considered to be a lucky number.
- “Third time lucky”
- “One, two, three, GO!”
- “Hip Hip Hooray!”.
- “Going once, going twice…SOLD!”
Good things happen on three!
Stop and feel into the numbers for a moment. Two is not quite enough, whilst four seems too many. The perfection of three isn’t something which is learned necessarily, it’s an innate spiritual quality contained within the archetypes of the number. The old superstition of not walking underneath a ladder, lest you invite in bad luck actually stems from the ancient Egyptian belief that one should not “break a triangle’. The form of the triangle (appearing under the ladder) – the geometry of the number three – was considered by the Egyptians as complete and perfect, and therefore not to be touched.
In religious ceremonies, incantations are repeated three times to be effective.
In natural magic, it’s well known that any spell that’s cast, intending to cause harm will come back to get you threefold. (Any positive energy you put out also returns threefold – something worth remembering!)
In fact, this magic, almost supernatural power of the three is the essential, almost intangible spark that this number brings, like the invisible thread that links cause and effect; it’s what makes a joke funny or a lecture interesting, it is what’s conveyed in a knowing look or a painted masterpiece. The number 3 gives depths, it gives an extra dimension, to experiences.
The Number 3, Rhythm and Movement
The 3 has rhythm, which gives it a flowing momentum, and the sense of being always aligned with the best possible outcomes! It’s also a busy energy; from the “on your mark, get set, go!” that begins a race, to the gold, silver and bronze medals at the end. From the unceasing activity of a growing child to the “three times’ a charm” reminder of luck, it almost always represents motion, social activity, and creative ways of enhancing life and experience.
The Number Three and History, Mythology, Astrology, and Religion
- Christianity is fundamentally based on the Trinity – the father, the son and the holy spirit.
- In the Bible, Jesus rose after three days in the tomb.
- The Sumerian Goddess Inanna rose from the dead after three days and three nights in the underworld.
- The ancient Sumatran chicken God Manuk Manuk laid three eggs, from which hatched the three worlds: the upper world (heaven), the lower world (earth) and the underworld.
- The Borromean rings is a centuries-old symbol of unity and is made up of three interlocking rings. But if one is removed, the other two will fall apart.
- In astrology, the planet Jupiter vibrates to the frequency of the three.
- The third sign of the Zodiac is Gemini (where the Sun sails from May 21 – June 21).
- In Tarot, card number three is the Empress.
- Only the three primary colors are needed to mix all others.
The Number Three in Numerology: Step up to the Stage!
In Numerology, it’s recognized that the number 3 – more than any other number – pertains to performance and expression!
People with this number in their Numerology charts – as the Life Path Number, Destiny (Expression) Number or Soul Urge Number are always on the lookout for fun, and bursting with self-confidence, enthusiasm, and charm. In fact, the number three has a zeal for life that’s infectious. But it’s not all for show. The number three has highly creative energy, is very forward-focussed and has many great interpersonal skills. As well as being willing to take the limelight, a person with this number in their chart will tend to be good at putting others at ease by reading the room, cracking just the right number of jokes and keeping the atmosphere light.
Shadow Traits of the Number Three
With such a happy-go-lucky personality, the three can sometimes suffer from not being taken seriously enough. They may miss out on opportunities, promotions or invitations because they’re perceived as not being serious enough. Not true. They just prefer to look on the bright side!
Such hugely positive enthusiasm for life and all its variety can make it tricky for number threes to settle down into developing the few interests, gifts, and talents that it would really serve them to master. A little like number fives, it’s super-important for the person who has an abundance of this energy in their life, to learn discipline (especially from a young age).
Another pitfall of the number 3, can be inauthenticity. Which seems counterintuitive, being such expressive folks, but it’s common for threes to become so adept at playing the role they think others expect of them, that they lose touch with who they really are. So it’s not fakery, it’s simply “playing to the crowd”. Digging deep, and working through the self-criticism and judgment that rise is where number threes will find their greatest strength.
- Read about the Life Path Number 3 HERE.
- Read about the Soul Urge Number 3 HERE.
- Read about Angel Number 333 HERE.
Interested in the Meaning, Symbolism, and Significance of other Numbers? Check out our blogs below…