Last Updated on
Our solar plexus chakra is an energy point located above the navel and below the rib cage. It is one of the central chakras (along with the heart chakra), and it is where our “solar” energy resides. The solar plexus chakra is linked with our vitality, sense of self, will and personal power. It is where we digest and process our emotions, and experience “gut feelings”. It can also be the place where we empathically take in other people’s energies.
Solar Plexus Associations
- Element- Fire
- Planet- Sun
- Color- Yellow
- Large Intestine
- Adrenal Glands
- Muscular System
- Gall Bladder
Plants can be powerful allies in support of our intentions and healing. Here is a list of foods and herbs as well as recipes to help open the solar plexus chakra…
- Fennel – Helps with digestion, cleansing (shedding old skin) and courage.
- Turmeric – An excellent liver herb and stimulates the digestive fire.
- Chamomile – A calming solar herb that is known as the “Mother of the Gut”. Take it to gently support your digestion and soothe any stomach upsets.
- Dandelion Leaves – Supports the kidneys. Helps us to have more courage. Put them in your salad or sauté them.
- Dandelion Root – Helps support the liver and helps us to clear our anger.
- Ginger – Great for digestion, warming and boosts energy.
- Lemon (and other citrus fruits) – Help detoxify and support the liver.
- Pineapple – A solar fruit that is high in fiber and helps with digestion.
- Cinnamon – Warming and energising. Helps with sluggish digestion and strengthens adrenal glands.
- Sunflower Seeds
- Yellow Peppers
Also, any other ingredients that support the body systems linked to this chakra will help to open it.
Below you’ll find three easy-to-make recipes that activate and rebalance your solar plexus.
This beverage is my version of an ancient Ayurvedic drink using turmeric, “milk” and spices- and it’s pretty delicious, if I do say so myself!
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 halved dried medjool date (pitted)
- 1 crushed green cardamom pod
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thin strips of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- small pinch of sea salt
- small amount of freshly cracked black pepper
- cinnamon powder for garnishing
- In a mug, put the tumeric, cinnamon, black pepper and salt.
- In a saucepan pour in milk, date, cardamom, coconut oil and ginger.
- Bring contents of saucepan to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Using a strainer, pour the contents of the saucepan into the mug.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Gut Hug Tea
This is a tea blend which gently supports the digestive system. Take it regularly to nourish the area, or whenever your stomach is upset. Leave out peppermint if you have acid reflux.
- 2 Parts chamomile
- 1 Part burdock root
- 1 Part peppermint
- 1/2 Part fennel seeds
Tummy Rub Oil
This essential oil blend helps with a sluggish digestive system and soothes stomach upsets. Blend these ingredients together and store in a bottle. Rub on the abdominal area when needed.
- 1 Part cardamom essential oil
- 1 Part black pepper essential oil
- 1 Part fennel essential oil
- Base Oil – sweet almond oil or jojoba oil
Thank you for reading. Please comment below if you have any other tips to share for opening the solar plexus chakra, or if you’ve given any of these recipes a try!