The planets are massive rocks that influence our bodies here on Earth. Crystals are inner-earth rocks that also influence our bodies here on the surface.
“As above, so below” is a universal law, indicating the interconnectedness between all things at the macrocosmic, local, and microcosmic levels of this holographic universe.
As such, the planets that rotate and spiral around the heavens have energetic correspondences with the myriad crystals that form below us, within the earth.
Astrology teaches us that the planets “speak” to one another through their aspects (conjunct, sextile, square, opposition, trine, etc). Just as the planets influence our experiences here on Earth, they also connect to that which forms within the earth.
As always, everything is connected, and each planet has corresponding crystals that share a type of energetic resonance.
As I wrote in my column about manifesting with the moon cycles, the lunar phases all point to certain types of energy, and using the appropriate crystals helps to amplify one’s intentions.
How to Use this Guide:
Working with gemstones that correlate with the key planets in your natal chart can expand their beneficial effects upon our bodies. Whether an upcoming transit is said to be beneficial or challenging, you can use a crystal to channel the energy productively.
For instance, when Mercury goes retrograde, or is transiting through an important house in your birth chart (such as the third house of expression), you can work with Mercury’s corresponding crystals to maintain your focus on direct and clear communication. Sodalite is great for self-expression, as are the various agate gemstones, which are wonderful for mental clarity.
If there are planets that are causing trouble or confusion, you can use the corresponding crystal to temper the energy, integrate it, and use it to your advantage and growth.
Perhaps you’re presently in your Saturn return (Saturn in Sagittarius), or have just completed it (Saturn in Scorpio). You can work with Smoky Quartz or Black Obsidian—two types of stones that complement the powerful, somber, and shadowy characteristics of Saturn. Obsidian always embodies that Saturnine energy. It’s intense. It acts fast and hard, and digs deep into your subconscious to bring your blockages to the surface to be dealt with, and that is exactly how Saturn operates in our lives.
Here’s my quick, non-exhaustive reference guide for the planets, their realms of influence, their complementary crystals, and the outcome of working with them.
Planets and their Crystals
Sun – the body/ego, the father, men, power
- Crystals – Clear Quartz, Citrine, Goldstone
- Effects – vitality, generosity, courage, freedom
Moon – the emotions/psychology, the mother, women, nurturance
- Crystals – Clear Quartz, Rose Quartz, Moonstone, Selenite
- Effects – emotional balance, calm meditation, introspection, manifestation
Mercury – intelligence, mischief, communication, learning
- Crystals –Aventurine, Agate varieties, Sodalite
- Effects – sharp intellect, eloquence, artistic sense, clarity
Venus – self-love, relationships, pleasures, maternal love
- Crystals – Rose Quartz, Unakite, Amethyst
- Effects – harmony, gentleness, sensuality, beauty
Mars – catalyst, courage, sexual energy, siblings
- Crystals – Bloodstone, Red Jasper, Unakite, Amber, Ruby, Garnet
- Effects – action, energy, virility, leadership
Jupiter – fortune, abundance, expansion, children
- Crystals – Black Obsidian, Lapis, Green Aventurine, Topaz, Amethyst, Sodalite
- Effects – success, influence, justice, material/spiritual wealth
Saturn – challenges, lessons, restrictions, karma
- Crystals – Smoky Quartz, Black Obsidian, Onyx, Hematite, Jet
- Effect – endurance, stabilization, crystallization, growth
Uranus – the provocateur, awakenings, shock & awe, innovation
- Crystals – Aquamarine, Clear, Rutilated & Tourmalinated Quartz, Diamond
- Effect – perspective shifts, realignment, self-initiation, empowerment
Neptune – mysticism, delusions, dreams, imagination, idealism
- Crystals – Labradorite, Fluorite, Jade, Quartz varieties, Amethyst, Sapphire, Moldavite
- Effect – illusion-busting, clarity, high meditation, new unfoldings
Pluto – transformation, healing, regeneration, upheaval
- Crystals – Smoky Quartz, Obsidian, Snowflake Obsidian, Black Tourmaline, Kunzite, Kyanite
- Effects – transmutation, harmony, rebirth, the “Phoenix rising” archetype