In many places, the post-holiday winter months seem to stretch on forever. It’s a time which can be incredibly gloomy and depressing for some people. Seasonal depression is real!
The good news is there are practical tips and even magickal spells that can enhance your sense of wellbeing and help with seasonal depression.
Let’s begin with a few practical pointers which will go far in improving how you feel this winter…
1. Exercise is known to be a natural antidepressant. Moving daily, in whatever capacity your body is capable, will usually make you feel better. Dancing, stretching or doing yoga at home are all great options. After all, winter is the perfect time for indoor sports! Make your movement session magickal by playing some relaxing tunes. Give yourself this special gift of moving your body, which it absolutely craves and loves.
2. If you’re feeling blue there are also light boxes and special lamps that mimic natural outdoor light. Sitting under one of these can really help to boost your mood. Give it a try!
3. Staying positive is something I work on daily.
I’m not naturally perky, or even that happy when I first wake up so I have created some morning rituals to get my mind in a good place.
I meditate, practice Reiki on myself, write, draw, and follow Tony Robbins’ “Priming Technique” which you can check out here.
4. Creating a simple morning routine for yourself, one which includes some activities that put you in a good mood will do wonders for how you feel each morning.
5. According to Allison S. Gremillion “Colors can make us feel happy or sad, and they can make us feel hungry or relaxed.”
Bright, light colors are known to uplift our spirits. Yellow, red, sky blue, and rose are good colors to start with. Painting, coloring, or working with textiles in bright colors can be helpful because of the tangible effect colors have on our mood.
Try wearing bright colors, especially if you live in a city that is grey, or dark this time of year. Try adding a cozy blanket, in a happy color, to your decor.
5. Drink plenty of water.
1. Choose 1-2 fruits with colors that you find vibrant and uplifting. Place them on your altar if you have one, or on a cleared space in your home.
2. Sit before them for a moment. Thank Spirit or God for the gift of brightly colored fruit.
3. Breathe slowly and deeply for a few minutes. Really allow yourself to become centered and calm.
4. Say the following incantation…
“Gratitude for your bounty fills me.
Your beauty nourishes me.
I am one with your beauty.
I am beauty.
I am love.
I feel Gratitude for [the things in your life].
Your beauty nourishes me.”
5. Breathe for a few minutes.
6. When you feel ready, thank Spirit/God again. Place the fruit in a bowl on a table, or in your kitchen. This lovely decoration will help lift your spirit!
Another mood elevator is practicing random acts of kindness. Before leaving the house in the morning set an intention to be of service and provide joy to someone else.
Call to Spirit in the way that feels comfortable to you and declare your intention before leaving your home. For example, you can say,
“Goddess show me where I can be of service to you.
May we walk together this day.
Show me where I can be kind to myself and another.”
According to the Mayo Clinic , it’s normal to have some down days. However, if the gloomy feelings continue for prolonged periods, and especially if there is a feeling of hopelessness or suicidal thoughts consult a doctor or contact https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
May you have ease and peace during the fall and winter. You are not alone. We are all in this together. Blessed Be.