I am completely addicted to HGTV and those shows where you start with a mess and by the end you have this beautifully finished, gloriously designed room.
There’s something so elemental about the urge to transform.
And if I’m not transforming myself, I love to watch messes transformed into beauty on TV.
It gives me hope.
Attention must be paid’ is the cardinal rule of design discipline,
for the designer is above all someone who pays attention to the situation at hand.
~~~Ralph Caplan, Design Book Author
The house is a metaphor for life.
In your rooms are all the aspects of the light and shadow; all the experiences, memories, hopes, dreams and secrets that you keep.
I love the quote I’ve included because it gets to the essence of design whether of a room or of your life.
Attention must be paid.
You might say one can only design successfully if the awareness is present.
Being present to the situation at hand is what enables you to envision the future, and envisioning (or designing) a future is very different from worrying about one.
To design a life that works for you, you have to pay attention to the situation at hand. You have to look honestly at what is working and what is not. You have to get clear about your own needs in the situation before you can create the design that can fulfill them.
Wouldn’t it be nice if some professionals from HGTV could just show up at your door while you are out and completely redesign your life to be everything you’ve dreamed? Well, they might do that for a house but your life cannot be redesigned from the outside.
It’s an inside-out job as usual.
Instead of waiting for someone to rescue you and your life, you need to get out the drafting table and sit down and begin a design from the center (your heart and soul). After all, the design for your life that will most fulfill you is within you and you alone. No one else can have that vision but others can help you bring it to life once you know what it is you are creating in the world.
3 Steps To Designing The Life Of Your Dreams:
So here are my three easy steps to getting your life in order so you can design the life of your dreams:
1. Start paying attention to your life in a new and very present way. Think about the rooms (parts of yourself) that you have closed off for one reason or another. Think about the rooms (parts of yourself) that you show to the outer world. Think about whether or not you are living from an authentic place. Write your ideas down – these are the fundamental bits of your redesign. This is your starting point.
2. If you are sharing the house of your life with others, think about whether those relationships are working well or not. Think about what is required of you in each situation. Again write your thoughts and ideas down – relationships (whether at work or at home) are where we find the greatest challenge to our authenticity and sense of empowerment.
3. Create a blueprint of the life you want to have. Make sure your blueprint includes work, family (or meaningful relationships), finances, creativity, play, health and your connection to spirit. A blueprint is your playground – it is where you can customize the life you want. The blueprint can be changed – it is flexible and an opportunity to play in the universe. So try out a few blueprints until you feel you have one that most expresses who you are and who you are becoming. Then take just one aspect and put it into motion.
Easy? Perhaps. The easy part is visioning the redesign you crave. The harder part is trusting yourself and the universe that change is possible.
You can only change your own design, not others. But if you do change your own design so that you feel more loved, supported and honored in your life – others will show up who fit with that design; and others will shift as you shift (or not). That’s how it works.
You are the architect, draftsman, playwright and fashion designer of the life that is called YOU. So get busy and start taking some measurements. And then step into the glory of creation!!
- You’re The Architect of Your Own Destiny So Why Aren’t You Reading The Blueprint Properly?
- Create A New Life Blueprint In Five Steps!
How do you envision your dream life? Let us know in the comments below…