August 1st marked the arrival of the pagan holiday ‘Lammas’, also called ‘Lughnasadh’. We are now in the lazy, golden days of summer. This is a time of the year of the first fruits; the first harvest.
Abundance abounds, and while we are deep in the summer glow, we are also about to descend into the last months; the colder time of the year. Now is a good time to check-in; to take stock of what you have accomplished thus far. Evaluate your harvest, and contemplate how to proceed in your year.
Moving From Strive To Victory
In the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn’s system of Tarot, August 1st is at the end of the time period linked to the 5 of Wands (also called ‘Strife’), and we transition to the 6 of Wands (‘Victory’).
We may have faced some obstacles and challenges as we strove for our aims this year, but we may now be seeing some victories; some fruits of our labors! This is the time of the fiery Suit of Wands, as well as Leo – a time of creativity, courage, passion and expression of our individuality.
Stability & Celebration
And indeed, Lammas lands right in the middle of the days of the Fixed sign Leo. Unlike the solstices and equinoxes which start the seasons and are associated with Cardinal energy, Lammas carries double Fixed energy, being in the center of a Fixed sign. This is a stabilized time. This is a period to celebrate our achievements- and preferably outside!
5 Ways To Celebrate Lammas & Yourself
Here are some ways to celebrate Lammas, and align with its energies:
- Wear gold. You can also wear solar colors, and colors of burnt Earth- like red, yellow, orange and rust.
- Lammas celebrates the wheat and corn harvest, so perhaps drink some beer, bake some bread or have some corn!
- Carry citrine and/or tiger’s eye with you. These are some crystals linked with Leo, and the solar plexus chakra.
- Speaking of chakras, the ones linked to Leo are the heart and solar plexus. You may want to focus on opening and balancing these energy points during this time to encourage you, empower you and help you to shine!
- Ask yourself these questions:
- What have I accomplished this year?
- What haven’t I accomplished yet? Do I still want to?
- What do I want to invest in? What is not serving me in my life
- What abundance do I have that I can share with others?
- What do I want and need to receive more of in my life?