Three Easy Steps to Making Meals Magickal
Food is sacred. Wiccans and other nature-based magick makers understand that the plants, minerals, and animals that make up a meal have their own living energy, with qualities of their own. With a little attention and a little intention, those qualities become ingredients in themselves, making your kitchen cupboard into a magickal treasure trove!
Step One: Get to Know Food on an Elemental Level
The first step in becoming a literal wizard in the kitchen is to get to know the elemental properties of plants and animals. Much of magick is based on the law of attraction: that like attracts like. This means you can discern the magickal properties of any food using just your senses and your intuition as a guide. Once you have an idea of each of the elemental qualities and how to identify them in your food, you’ll be able to make magickal meaning out of any existing recipe.
Watery Foods: bring emotional connection, intuition, love, and connection to universe.
- Herbs: Poppies, Echinacea, Valerian
- Flowers: Hyacinth, Rose, Lotus
- Foods: Watery fruits, Jicama, Fish
Fiery Foods bring passion, transformation, creativity, and charisma.
- Herbs: Ginger, Cinnamon, Rosemary
- Flowers: Damiana, Agave, Marigold
- Foods: Peppers, Red Meats, Figs
Earthy Foods bring perseverance, abundance, stability, and physical strength.
- Herbs: Sage, Oregano, Cumin
- Flowers: Chamomile, Dandelion, Goldenrod
- Foods: Apples, Grains, Root Vegetables
Airy Foods bring good judgement, communication, justice, and joy.
- Herbs: Anise, Peppermint, Wormwood
- Flowers: Lavender, Hibiscus, Pansy
- Foods: Sprouts, Poultry, Vine Vegetables
Yes, some flowers are foods! Infuse water with the subtle essence and flavor of flowers and turn hydration into something magickal. Simply make a tea out of fresh flowers and luke-warm water, then chill. Drink rose to spark love, pansy for healing the heart, and lavender for protection.
Step Two: Activate the Magick
After selecting a recipe with ingredients that match the intention of your spell, it’s time to supercharge them with energy. This is where the real magick happens, and your ordinary cooking can get extraordinary results. In this case, I searched for something sweet with figs and rosemary because I knew I wanted to boost my business with some fire energy. I found these olive oil cookies, and because olives are sacred to Athena, and Athena is a patron of industry — I knew that the universe was backing me up big time!
Athena’s Prosperity Cookies
The Greek goddess Athena is the patron of business and wisdom. These absolutely delicious cookies are made with Mediterranean ingredients that combine to form a powerful magnet for success. The olive is sacred to Athena and brings potency. Figs bring good luck. Rosemary enhances your focus, and salt brings protection.
To infuse and activate the magick in these cookies, chant this over to yourself as you combine the rosemary and sugar with your hands, and again as you form the dough into balls. As your hands work the dough, envision golden energy flowing into them.
Olive, fig. Rosemary, salt.
Wisdom and power, combined from the heart.
Abundance gather, good fortune lead.
By Athena’s wisdom, so mote it be.
- ½ cup dried figs
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅓ cup high-quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of flour (works with gluten-free!)
- Cover the figs with warm water for 20 minutes, till plump. Drain and dry with a paper towel. Chop into small pieces.
- Chop the rosemary small and rub into a bowl of the sugar …while chanting!
- Use a mixer to beat the rosemary sugar into the soft butter, till creamy. Add egg yolk, then olive oil. When smooth, add flour and salt.
- Dust the figs with flour to keep them from sticking and fold into the mixture.
- Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into golf ball sized balls and place them down. Chant and envision that golden light!
- Using your palm, flatten into disks.
- Bake for 20 minutes till golden brown. Let them cool completely.
Step Three: “Mangia” the Magick
Eating mindfully will increase the power in cooking or baking. Magickally charged foods are especially wonderful for holidays, on full moons, and as an offering at an altar. Before you know it your Book of Shadows will be covered in butter stains as you develop special recipes to honor the sacred and fulfill your dreams, all throughout the year!