For too long, a woman’s “time of the month” has been regarded with shame, trivialization of emotions, and as a burden to be tolerated. But this is a most sacred and powerful phase, to be acknowledged and respected.
Women’s “moon days” are a magical occasion of cleansing and releasing – emotionally and physically. And this is when women’s sensitivities and intuition are heightened, bringing to the surface and magnifying what needs to be acknowledged, expressed and released. For this reason, many females experience an emergence of anger that is let go of during this phase. And because so much comes up, it is a special time to be still, go within, and reflect.
Here is a guide to offer women advice on how to care for themselves, as well as guidance on how to celebrate and harness the power of this potent phase…
Rest, Detox, Replenish
During part of your cycle, it is important to give yourself some self-care and rest. You may still need to carry on with tasks in your home and/or work life, but try to minimize them and not take on more than you need to. Fit in some downtime.
Women’s bodies are detoxifying during this period, so drinking plenty of water will help with that process. Nettle tea and raspberry leaf tea are great to drink at this time. Nettle tea is cleansing and full of nutrients. Raspberry leaf tea is also nourishing and helps tone the uterus. You may want to have soothing soups, and lots of greens to replenish the body. Seaweed is also very good to have, as it is full of nourishment. You may crave some sweets. Allow yourself some of that, but take it easy and go with healthier choices. Some gently sweetened raw chocolate treats without refined sugar are a great option.
Keep exercise, if any, light at this time. Stretching, walking outside and gentle yoga are good choices for this phase.
Here is a recipe for a sweet treat that is nutritious and healthy…
Adzuki Bean Pudding
Adzuki beans (aka red beans) are a popular ingredient in Asian desserts, and they are nutrient dense. This recipe goes light on the sweetener, so if you’d like to add more you could. I find the coconut milk also adds a nice dose of natural sweetness…
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 400 ml can of adzuki beans
- 400 ml can of coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp agar agar
- 1 Tbsp coconut nectar sugar
- Put coconut milk in pot with agar agar (unstirred) and heat till brought to a boil
- Stir in coconut sugar and adzuki beans and simmer for 15 mins
- Allow to cool 10-15 mins
- Transfer to a food processor and blend well
- Move to serving bowls and cover w cling film
- Allow to cool and store in refrigerator for about 2 hours or more before serving
- Use This Time for Reflection
As mentioned before, this is when women’s intuition is enhanced, and this is a great time to go within, reflect and even course direct your life. You may notice recurring thoughts every month, at this time of the month- urging a particular action. You may not be ready to take action yet, but that is okay. Just acknowledging what you are feeling and needing is substantial, and the first step. If you’d like, do some journaling during this phase, and see what recurring themes come up, if any.
And if you do any sort of divination like tarot readings, you may find that your intuitive powers are stronger during this phase. Take advantage of that!
Give Your Blood Back to the Earth
In old times, women used to give their menstrual blood back to the earth. Menstrual blood is magical, powerful, and full of life force. It nourishes the soil, and helps to promote future growth. Use a menstrual cup or reusable pad to reserve the blood for leaving in your garden.
Colors for this Time:
You may want to celebrate this time by wearing symbolic colors that help you to align with this phase and its significance…
- Red – The color of blood.
- White – For purification.
- Black – For this “dark” time of going within.
Crystals to use:
You may find it beneficial to wear or carry certain crystals to give you support during this period. There are many options, so go with what personally feels appropriate; see which crystals you connect with during this phase…
- Moonstone – Calming and helps to ease menstrual symptoms.
- Garnet – My personal choice. Detoxifying and vitalizing.
- Bloodstone – A detoxifier. Helps with blood circulation.
- Rose Quartz – For gentle, soothing comfort.
- Red Jasper
- Red Coral
Use these essential oils on your skin with a carrier oil (like jojoba or almond oil), or diffuse for its therapeutic offerings…
- Lavender – Cleansing. Soothes mood and physical symptoms.
- Geranium – Soothes mood. Helps balance women’s hormones.
- Rose -Emotional soothing.
- Clary Sage – Balances hormones. Eases menstrual discomfort. Emotionally soothing.
- Cypress – Purifying and eases discomfort.
- Chamomile – Soothes mood.
- Fennel – Cleansing.
Thank you for reading. I hope that you have found these tips useful and helpful, as you honor this sacred time!
Image above of Medicine Woman by Caroline Maniere.