You probably know that famous grounding ritual where you close your eyes, relax, breathe deeply and imagine roots growing down from the bottoms of your feet, connecting you to the Earth’s core?
And it connects you deeply into the safety and sanctity of Earth.
But did you know that there’s another way, something you can add into your grounding meditation or ritual that doesn’t only ‘use’ the Earth but gives back to her too? Very similar to this typical grounding technique, it just requires you to add one more element.
In honor of Earth Day 2019, we’re sharing a new meditation, a way you can give back to our Earth, simply by using your heart. This works. Loving intention (much like prayer) has been proven to heal and raise the energetic vibration of whatever it’s focused on. And because we know how just effective this is when just one person is doing this meditation alone, we want to try an experiment. We’re inviting you to take just 15 minutes out of your day – April 22nd, 2019 – to practice this, knowing that around the world, thousands of others are also sitting, offering their time, attention and love to the very same endeavor. (The exact time isn’t important. Time is elastic, so whether it’s morning, noon or night, join us!)
Read through the instructions below. It’s pretty simple – you can’t get it wrong. Then begin.
Collective ‘More than a Grounding’ Meditation
- Find somewhere to sit or lie down, close your eyes and notice your breath.
- Take a few slow, deep breaths in and out to soothe your nervous system, then allow the rhythm to normalize again.
- Now in your mind’s eye, visualize a place in nature that you love. This could be somewhere you go regularly, somewhere you’ve visited only once, or somewhere you’ve seen in a photograph or movie.
See the details of this place. Hear the sounds. Feel the air. Smell the scent… using the power of your imagination, try to fully immerse yourself in this beautiful place.
- Next, feel the love you have for this place form and collect in your heart. If you struggle with this, draw on the feelings you have for something else you love – a child, a pet, your partner, or anything else that helps you.
- Let this love grow in your heart.
- Feel it glowing and pulsating like light.
- When your love feels strong, take the feeling and (using your will and imagination) squash it into a little ball, then push it down, down, from your heart, through your belly, your legs and your feet (or your back – depending on whether you are sitting or lying down), into the Earth below. Keep pushing it down (using your will and imagination) as far into the earth, towards her center as you can.
- Let the love go, and feel that it has gone.
- Now, wait.
If you are lucky (and people normally are) something really incredible happens next.
- Open up your senses to the feeling of the Earth sending her love back. It will likely rise up from below, as a gentle, fuzzy, activating feeling filling gradually your body.
- You may feel your own love for Earth grow again, so gently push it down as before, so that a loop is formed between you and the planet, with love flowing freely between you both.
- Sit in this feeling for as long as you like.
When you reach this state, not only is this confirmation that the love you sent into the Earth has been felt and received by her, but you’re being given a healing, harmonizing gift in return. The vibration you are sitting in at this point is incredibly special, and has regarded as sacred, by people all over the planet for thousands of years.
You can do this meditation at any time. So much more than a grounding meditation, this is a way to reinforce the intimate loving relationship you have with the Earth. You always have this relationship. We all do. But by reaching out – by giving love to her, rather than just taking what you need, the result is extraordinary.
Let’s save our planet while we still can.