Early on in my corporate career I expected my superiors to automatically recognize and reward my good work. I thought that if I just did exceptional work the powers that be would be knocking down my door to offer me all sorts of promotions and bonuses.
How delusional was I???!!! Don’t answer that!
Assumptions like the one I made early in my career often end up holding you back, especially if you are waiting for the world to change to accommodate your world view.
And if you work for yourself you may have even more ways to hold yourself back from achieving the success you desire.
Here are three ways that might just be the reason you aren’t as successful as you could be:
- You PROCRASTINATE! Procrastination is another way of saying you are WAITING for something to happen. And waiting leads to more waiting. The Law of Attraction says that you get the energy you project. So if you are procrastinating on your dreams for your career you are telling the universe that you are not ready. If you are waiting you are basically saying that waiting is what you want to do. Frustrating, isn’t it???
- You don’t follow up on opportunities because you are not sure how they might work out. I always tell my millennial clients to take every opportunity that comes their way. When you are at the beginning of your career, taking opportunities as they show up gives you a breadth and depth of experience that you might not get otherwise. And it allows you to refine what you truly want – again a perfect way to work with manifesting energy. Even if you are older or have your own business pay attention to the opportunities that show up. They are wonderful ways to cavort in the playground of life and learn to work effectively with universal energy.
- You are trying to be all things to all people. This can be especially true if you have your own business but it can also be true if you work for someone else. Narrowing focus helps you move forward and directs your energy towards what you truly want to do. When you try to be all things to all people you lose the very essence of the unique gifts and talents you have to offer.
So now that you know some possible ways you are holding yourself back, what is there to do?
First you need to get at the core of WHY you are holding yourself back.
- What is it you are afraid to change?
- What would it mean for your life and your relationships if you became as successful as you want to be?
- What does it mean if you were to put yourself and your dreams first over the needs of others?
- And finally what do you need other people to think of you?
Sit and really get in touch with the answers to these questions. Once you do you’ll be able to tackle those habits and beliefs that are holding you back.
And once you do that – look out universe – another star has come out to shine!
Shine on beautiful stars!