Mercury Retrograde is one of the notoriously daunting transits in astrology, with astrologers advising us to be extra careful with electronics, hold off on signing contracts, and refrain from getting involved with anyone or anything new during this time.
Mercury is the third-fastest moving planet after the Sun and Moon and is the planet that most frequently goes into retrograde motion.
What’s All The Hype About?
The hype around Mercury retrograde is all based on the principles of astrology. Mercury rules our communication styles, thought processes, travel, machinery and electronics – when it goes into retrograde, people are often affected with issues pertaining to these areas.
Communication is key to all parts of our everyday life: in nature, between humans, between written words and the brain process, between parts of a machine. I know, it is irrational to hold off on living your life because of Mercury retrograde! However, it is definitely advisable to be wary of its presence and to intelligently live under its influence.
During Mercury retrograde, when it comes to…
- buying machinery or electronics: make sure you invest in a warranty and make your purchase frugal if possible.
- starting a new relationship or venture (business, personal, romantic, etc.): keep in mind that people and situations may not actually turn out to be the way they presented themselves or the way you perceived them.
- ending a pre-existing relationship or venture (business, personal, romantic, etc.): stick it out if you can! It’s only a few weeks. During Mercury retrograde, we can see things differently than we normally would.
- signing a contract or having a meeting: take your time reading contracts and get second opinions on it without bringing your own opinion into the situation. Use all possible modes of communication with all involved parties to clarify terms as well as possible.
- traveling: plan ahead to accommodate delays.
So you’re probably wondering, what can you actually do during Mercury retrograde?! Continue projects that were conceived before Mercury went retrograde. We all have enough of those to keep us occupied for a few weeks. Also, take a look at your natal chart in relation to Mercury retrograde in order to understand how it can uniquely affect your life.
If you don’t have your natal chart available, just input your birth information here!
The Pre-Shadow & Post Shadow Meanings:
Before and after a planet goes retrograde, we experience a pre-shadow and post-shadow retrograde period. The pre-shadow period starts when a planet is moving forward in the zodiac and transits the degree that it will later go direct, and ends when the planet starts its retrograde motion. During the pre-shadow period, we find ourselves making decisions that may be questioned or changed during the retrograde period.
The post-shadow period starts when the planet goes direct, and ends when the planet hits the degree that it went retrograde. During the post-shadow period, we get a chance to reflect and apply any lessons we have learned during the retrograde period. The post-shadow period starts when Mercury goes direct on June 22nd.
How Will Mercury Retrograde Affect YOU Personally:
With every retrograde comes potential lessons. Mercury goes retrograde at 24 degrees in Gemini.
So if you know what time you were born, look at your natal chart and locate 24 degree Gemini (Yes, the degree does matter, because the houses change within signs!) Once you locate it, you can see which house(s) Mercury goes retrograde and direct in your birth chart, and you can embrace the upcoming potential lessons.
So depending on which house 24 degree Gemini lands in YOUR chart, you should be aware of the shifts in these areas…
- 1st house: self, first impressions, appearances
- 2nd house: money, values, possessions, self-worth
- 3rd house: siblings, communication, short travel, neighbors
- 4th house: home, emotional roots, family, home furnishings
- 5th house: romance, self-expression, gambling, creativity
- 6th house: health, daily routines, work routines, acts of service
- 7th house: social contracts, business partnerships, marriage partners
- 8th house: death, regeneration, sexual intimacy, joint resources, inheritance, debt
- 9th house: travel, higher education, philosophy, teachers
- 10th house: public image, career or vocation, ambition, job attainment
- 11th house: goals, dreams, friends, networking connections
- 12th house: inner self, subconscious/unconscious dreams, the past, secrets
What house is Mercury Retrograde landing retrograde for YOU? Comment below!