THE ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES AND THEIR MEANINGS
Once you have a basic understanding of the signs and the planets, you need to place this into the basic template which every chart has. Like the zodiac, the chart is split into 12 segments, called “the Houses”, beginning with the 1st House on the right (at 9 o clock) and moving around in an anticlockwise direction until you reach the 12th house. On an astrology chart, these are usually shown on a small, internal circle and indicated by Roman numerals.
The Houses and what they signify, are described below:
- Ascendant or Rising Sign (the 1st House cusp): Your natural reaction to the world. How you express yourself and what you show of yourself to others.
- 1st House: Self, Identity, appearance, attitudes, first impressions, the body. Ruled by Aries
- 2nd House: Material surroundings and possessions. Also daily routines, work, money. Ruled by Taurus
- 3rd House: The mental faculties, communications, siblings, neighbors, early education. Ruled by Gemini
- 4th House: Home, roots, the foundations of life and basic security. Parenting, family. Ruled by Cancer.
- 5th House: Love, play, creativity, self-expression and drama. Ruled by Leo
- 6th House: Health and fitness, systems and analysis, work routines and habits. Also service. Ruled by Virgo.
- Descendent (the 7th House cusp): What you aren’t. Qualities you lack and what you seek-and need – in relationships and partners.
- 7th House: Relationships, partnerships and collaboration. Also marriage and business contracts. Ruled by Libra.
- 8th House: Births, deaths and transformation. The merging of energies and shared assets. Power, money and intimacy. Ruled by Scorpio.
- 9th House: Travel, learning and higher education. Laws, governance and religion. Also luck, gambling, morals and ethics. Ruled by Sagittarius
- Midheaven (the 10th House cusp): The most public point of your chart. Relates to your life path, career, reputation and social standing.
- 10th House: Structure and authority, traditions, long-term goals, achievement. Masculinity and fatherhood. Limitations and boundaries. Ruled by Capricorn.
- 11th House: Groups, friends, community. Social awareness and social justice. Inventions and progression – the future. Ruled by Aquarius.
- 12th House: Finality and endings. Separation and solitude. Institutions, hospitals and jails. Also secretiveness and things which are hidden, the subconscious. Spirituality and creativity. Ruled by Pisces.
The houses are always in the same position for every astrological chart, regardless of when and where you were born. They’re incredibly useful to get to know, because whatever sign of the zodiac, planet or other significant point is held within a house, that part of your life will be affected.
For understanding how the current astrology will affect you – like predicting which part of your life the next Full Moon is most likely to disrupt! – knowing which of your houses it’s going to hit, is invaluable!