Last Updated on
MARK YOUR CALENDAR…
The next New Moon occurs on February 4/5, 2019, at 15º of Aquarius at the following times…
- 13:03 PST
- 16:03 EST
- 21:03 GMT
- 10:03 NZ (on Feb 5th)
Deep in the midst of Aquarius season (which runs until Feb 18), the urge to shake up our lives – personal, local and global – is strong.
And this week, we get an added boost of Aquarius energy as Sun and Moon unite here in the sign of the water bearer for the first and only time this year. Coming hot on the heels of eclipse season – just two weeks after the spectacular Full Moon Lunar eclipse in Leo – is another lunation: an altogether quieter New Moon in Aquarius.
Aquarius: Focus on Collective Change
Aquarius is a sign of divergence, of alternatives, of daring to be unique. Aquarius isn’t afraid to ruffle feathers, to rock the status quo and, if the call is there, to burn things down and start again. But it’s focus is always on the collective cause. Despite an overwhelming urge to follow a path of individuality, everything this sign does, it does for the good of all.
The New Moon, here, in the eleventh sign of the Zodiac, ruled by fearless change-maker Uranus, always comes as a clarion call at this time of year.
“If you want to make a change”, it says, “BE the change”.
The fixed energy that this New Moon offers, carries a boost of self-reliance and certainty. It comes as an invitation to make commitments, promises and to set intentions to do things differently from now on, crucially, in service of us all – and not just in service of an overactive ego. Aquarius wants us to challenge, question and progress the way society is headed, and not simply carry on with the way life’s been handed to us.
BUT how do we actually go about making the changes that Aquarius SO wants us to make? Can one person really make a difference? (there’s that age-old question, to which there’s rarely a definitive answer – but if you want one from me, it’s “yes”, by the way.) Because it’s one thing to light a candle at home, waft around a little white sage and set personal intentions on the new moon, but intentions for the collective? IS that…ok!?
…YES it IS!
Planning and performing a ritual for the collective good can be a highly potent tool for social change, because ritual provides an anchor point for the spiritual, energetic and practical to all collide. But it’s not to say you should just do your ritual and then sit back and wait for life to transform around you. Energy work is not a ticket out of hard work and activism. But it’s a very real tool in our armory for change. And a ritual could even be the very thing that shifts reality enough for you to find out where to act and what to do differently – creating the opening through which some practical, hands-on, Aquarian-fuelled work may actually make a difference.
But there’s one added ingredient that takes a ritual for the collective good to an entirely new level. And it’s not hard to find: Friends! Creating ritual in a group is a powerful experience, and what better New Moon on which to employ a little teamwork, than the New Moon in Aquarius?!
Aquarius New Moon Ritual to Change the World
You Will Need:
- A group of friends
- Pieces of paper
- Candles and smudge or incense (optional)
What to do:
- Gather everyone together in a circle, giving each person a pen and a piece of paper.
- If you want to light a candle and clear the space with smudge or incense, go ahead. This will help to add an element of the sacred to your ritual, but if you think it may be a little too much for some of the group, feel free to skip this part.
- Now ask each person to write down a list of 10 causes they believe in. These could range from saving turtles in the South Pacific Ocean, to providing food to the local homeless shelter, to teaching kids yoga in schools. Let them take as long as they need.
- When everyone has completed their 10, go around the circle sharing your lists with each other (no interruptions – let everyone be witnessed).
- Once everyone’s been heard, discuss all the many ways it’s possible actually take action and make real changes in the world. See how many inventive, alternative and do-able things you can come up with to tackle some of the many issues raised and make sure comments are constructive (you don’t want to start hosting a debate! This is about positive action! And remember, Aquarius is a revolutionary air sign – the sign of original thinking! So let loose, don’t hold back suggesting things that may seem a little wacky or off-beat… sometimes these ideas are the best!
- Go around the circle again and make sure that everyone has at least one actionable step to take for one of the items on their list before the circle is closed and the ritual complete.
Be sure to DO whatever the ritual process brought up for you. Call in help f you need or are unsure – Aquarius is the sign of teamwork and collective action so you’re not meant to act alone!
Then, why not meet up again? In a week’s time, or at the next Full Moon, to discuss with the same group of friends, how you’ve been shaking up your world, what the effects have been so far, and what you could do next. Accountability is a large part of group rituals so don’t shy away from your role here.
And of course… share your experience with the Numerologist community too!
Why not start the magic right now?
In the Spirit of forward-thinking Aquarius, tell us what causes YOU care about most in the world, and what meaningful actions you’re going to take to make a change?
Leave us a comment below!